Landlord Safety Certificate Milton Keynes

Landlords are required by law to meet with the health and safety regulations for their tenants. This involves taking responsibility for the annual maintenance and service of gas appliances, gas pipework and flues.

The law requires that when renting a property and it is connected to a mains gas supply or supplied via LPG, all appliances, gas pipework and flues must be checked and certified every 12 months by a Gas Safe registered engineer that can provide a landlord safety certificate.
If you are a landlord and need to book an annual service for one or more properties. Contact Glo Central Heating and Plumbing for a Landlord Safety Certificate Milton Keynes.

To find out more about landlord duties then please click here and you will be redirected to Health and Safety Executive.

What to do once you receive the gas Landlord Safety Certificate

Glo Central Heating and Plumbing will provide you with a Landlord Safety Certificate once your yearly service has been completed. You will then need to provide a copy of the certificate to your current tenants within 28 days from the date of the certificate. The Landlord must also provide a copy to future tenants that occupy the property, before they move in. All records must be kept for a minimum of 24 months.

Who is a landlord?

A landlord is not just someone that rents out their property to tenants. It is anyone who rents out a property they own under a lease or a license with a shorter term than seven years.

This covers a wide range of different types of accommodations, which commonly are, but not limited to:

Residential premises:
  • Local authorities
  • Housing Associations
  • Private sector landlords
Rooms let in:
  • Bedsit accommodation
  • Private homes
  • Bed and breakfast accommodation
  • Hotels
  • Hostels
Holiday Rentals:
  • Chalets
  • Cottages
  • Annexes
  • Apartments
  • Caravans
  • Narrow boats on inland waterways

There is one exception to the 7 year rule. This is while there continues to be an agreement or an implied tenancy agreement. A good example of this can be an accommodation that is provided to the tenant as part of their job role. It is strongly advised, that for almost all long-term tenancies, the landlord continues to carry out the duties of the property. Therefore by providing the tenants with a yearly gas safety certificate.

Not sure what gas appliances you are responsible for?

The landlord is NOT responsible for any gas appliances that the tenant owns themselves. However, does have a duty to maintain the gas infrastructure. This includes pipework, flues and ventilation as well as any gas appliances that are owned by the landlord. A carbon monoxide alarm must be fitted into every room where there is a gas burning appliance due to CO leaks. Glo Central Heating and Plumbing can in addition supply and fit an alarm for you. Contact us to find out more.

Carbon monoxide is a silent killer due to the fact it has no scent. It claims the lives of over 20 people per year. To find out more about carbon monoxide please click here

What can happen if the Landlord does not meet the regulations?

If a landlord fails to comply with the legal requirement of an annual gas Landlord Safety Certificate. They could be at almost certain risk of prosecution. This can lead to a prison sentence and / or a fine of up to £20,000 for the offences committed.

Book your annual gas Landlord Safety Certificate Milton Keynes today with Glo Central Heating and Plumbing here.


All our quotes are free of charge with no obligation, so please don’t hesitate to contact us today to find out more information, to request a quote or to book an appointment.

We look forward to hearing from you.

request a quote